By Nairem Moran ·firstname.lastname@example.org
Abington, Pa. –First-year forwardNaheed John(Rockville, Md./Massanutten Military [Va.]) scored the game-winning bucket with eight seconds on the clock to lift the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team to their second win of the season Tuesday night. St. Mary’s (2-4) posted an 89-87 victory in overtime over Penn State Abington (2-2) as junior guardMatt Ayoub(Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) dropped a career-best 30 points.
St. Mary’s 89, Penn State Abington 87 (OT)
How It Happened
- The two sides entered the extra frame in a 78-78 draw after junior guardJustin Milstead(Fort Washington, Md./IDEA Charter) made a layup with 30 seconds left in regulation.
- It was a back-and-forth battle in overtime as neither side led by more than a point until junior wingPhil Newsome(Mitchellville, Md./Potomac) downed two free throws to give St. Mary’s an 87-84 advantage with 1:21 remaining.Pernell Gheemade the second of two foul shots and then connected on a layup to bring the Nittany Lions even with 27 ticks on the clock.
- Following an Abington timeout,Johnfinished off aMilsteadpass for the eventual game-winning basket. The Lions called another timeout but then turned the ball on their ensuing possession.
- Abington captured the first half, claiming a 42-39 advantage at the break after ending the first half on a 12-6 run.Jay Fitzgeraldcapped the run with a three-point shot at 00:43.
- Milstead’sjumper at 17:05 gave the Seahawks their first lead since the 5:13-mark of the first stanza. TwoJohnfree throws put St. Mary’s up by eight for its biggest lead of the game at 8:56. The Lions rallied with a 17-4 run to reclaim a 73-70 lead at 5:17 on aFitzgeraldtriple.Milsteadscored five of the team’s final eight points to force overtime.
Inside the Box Score
- For the fourth straight game,Ayoubtallied more than 20 points as he finished with a game- and career-best 30 points after shooting 11-of-17 from the field with five triples. He also added three steals and two rebounds.
- Johnalmost recorded his first career double-double with 14 points and nine boards off the bench plus two assists and two blocks whileMilsteadfinished with 13 points, five assists, and four caroms.
- Newsomerecorded his first career double-double with a season-best 10 points and 11 rebounds.
- Gheenotched 25 points off the bench to lead the Nittany Lions on 9-of-13 shooting and a 7-of-12 effort from the line. Three starters also scored in double digits for Abington.
- The Seahawks edged the hosts, 47-41, in rebounding while connecting on a season-best 31 field goals to finish shooting 44.9-percent from the field.
- Abington also knocked down 31 buckets for 47.0-percent while picking up 12 steals and committing 21 turnovers.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 28 vs. Marymount (Va.) (4-1) – MPOBARC Arena – 7:00 p.m.