Press Release, Prince George’s County Police Department
In the last few weeks, robbery suspects in Prince George’s County have targeted multiple victims in separate cases using popular classified ad apps and online vendor sites.
In each of these cases, the victims agreed to meet the suspect(s) in order to buy or sell an item listed on a classified ad app – including shoes, a phone and cameras. When the victim and suspect(s) met in person to make the transaction, the suspect(s) robbed the victims.
Historically, these types of robberies have increased in the weeks leading up to the holidays. In an attempt to help prevent these crimes here in our county, the Prince George’s County Police Department is providing these safety tips. Please share them with your family and friends.
- Tell friends or family about your plans
- Never go alone to the transaction location. Always try to bring a second person with you
- It’s best to talk to a potential seller or buyer on the phone. Do not communicate only through an app or online
- When possible, meet the potential buyer or seller in a public place – like a shopping center
- Trust your instincts. If the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is
- Unless the item is too large to bring out of your home, never invite a buyer to your home