By Nairem Moran · email@example.com
Jamaica, N.Y. – Junior forward Spencer Schultz (Clear Spring, Md./Clear Spring) picked up Tournament MVP honors Saturday afternoon as the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team captured the York (N.Y.) College Invitational. St. Mary’s (4-6) posted a 76-64 win over the host York Cardinals (4-7) for its second straight victory in a row. In addition, junior guard Reggie Rouse (Baltimore, Md./Calvert Hall) earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team.
How It Happened
- Schultz scored seven of the team’s first 10 points for an early 10-5 Seahawk lead in the first four minutes. York responded by outscoring St. Mary’s, 24-10, over the next nine and a half minutes to stake a 29-20 advantage.
- Rouse knotted the game at 31-31 with 2:16 remaining before the Cardinals notched the final four points of the half for a 35-31 edge at the break.
- York doubled its lead in the first two minutes of the second stanza before the Seahawks answered back with an 11-2 run to reclaim the lead at 14:52. First-year guard Zach Spooner (Washington, D.C./St. John’s College) tallied the final seven points of the run.
- The Cardinals rallied with a 10-2 run of their own to rebuild a seven-point advantage at 11:46 and that would be York’s last lead of the game.
- St. Mary’s then outscored the Cardinals, 30-11, the rest of the way to secure its fourth win of the season as junior guard Matt Ayoub(Fairfax, Va./W.T. Woodson) sparked the run with a triple.
Inside the Box Score
- This is the second game St. Mary’s has won by a double-digit margin this season. The Seahawks also hauled in a season-best 47 rebounds for the second time this year, winning the rebounding battle by a 47-35 margin.
- Schultz poured in a game- and career-best 28 points on 10-of-16 shooting from the floor and 7-of-10 at the charity stripe. He picked up his third double-double of the season with 10 rebounds.
- First-year forward Naheed John (Rockville, Md./Massanutten Military [Va.]) grabbed a game- and season-high 11 boards while adding four points and a block.
- Rouse contributed seven dimes, six points, four caroms, and a season-high four steals.
- Darin Dove paced the Cardinals with 22 points and six rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 17 vs. Greensboro (1-7) – Michael P. O’Brien Athletics & Recreation Center Arena – 3:00 p.m