Press Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (6-7, 0-2 CAC) dropped a CAC contest Saturday (Jan. 5) evening 82-69 to the visiting Frostburg State University Bobcats (6-6, 2-0 CAC). The loss snapped the Seahawks four-game win streak.
St. Mary’s – 69, Frostburg – 82
How It Happened
- FSU jumped on St. Mary’s early by outscoring the Seahawks 12-2 to begin the game. Trailing 38-21 with 2:45 remaining in the opening half, St. Mary’s fought themselves back into the game with eight consecutive points to end the half. Spencer Schultz, Justin Milstead, Naheed John, and Zach Spooner all drained shots during the run.
- St. Mary’s cut FSU’s lead to eight from a clutch three-point shot from Schultz with 1:50 remaining in regulation. However, the Bobcats responded with corresponding scores to keep their distance from the Seahawks.
Inside the Box Score
- Schultz paced the Seahawks offensively with a team-best 17 points. Additionally, Schultz added six rebounds, three assists, one steal, and one block.
- Spooner had his best scoring night of the season with 15 points, while adding five rebounds coming off the bench.
- Phil Newsome contributed a team-high eight rebounds and tallied six points.
- FSU’s Lawerence Pettis and Edwin Cole led all scorers in the contest with 22 points each.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 9 vs. Christopher Newport (11-2, 1-1 CAC) – Freeman Center – Capital Athletic Conference contest – 7:30 p.m.