Press Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (4-10, 0-3 CAC) traveled to No. 17 Christopher Newport (11-3, 2-1 CAC) Wednesday (Jan. 9) evening and dropped a 103-59 contest to the Captains in CAC action.
St. Mary’s – 59, No. 17 Christopher Newport – 103
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s started the game with a hot start that included a 14-2 run in the opening minutes of the contest. Gina Seifert tallied six points during the run, while Kyaira Priest and Hallie Persell each added four points.
- Following St. Mary’s fast start, the Captains responded by closing out the quarter with 19 unanswered points to retake the lead, 21-14.
- The Seahawks headed into halftime trailing the Captains 58-24 and struggled to close the gap through the second half of action. St. Mary’s was outscored 26-18 in the third quarter and 19-17 in the final stanza.
Inside the Box Score
- First year guard Jazmyne Scott netted a season-best 16 points and the led the Seahawks offensively coming off the bench. Scott also brought down five rebounds on the night.
- Seifert made her presence known in multiple facets of the game, pouring in 14 points and recording four rebounds, three assists, two blocks, and one steal.
- Jessica Foster led all scorers in the game with a season-high 27 points. Natalie Terwilliger notched a double-double coming off the bench, accumulating 17 points and 12 rebounds. As a team, Christopher Newport gathered 22 steals.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 12 at York (Pa.) (5-9, 0-3 CAC) – Grumbacher Center – Capital Athletic Conference game – 1:00 p.m.