News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – Junior forward Spencer Schultz led the St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (6-10, 0-5 CAC) with 20 points and eight rebounds in a 79-67 loss to the University of Mary Washington Eagles (12-4, 4-1 CAC) Wednesday (Jan. 16) night in the MPOBARC Arena.
St. Mary’s – 67, Mary Washington – 79
How It Happened
- The Eagles caught the Seahawks on their heels to begin the contest by jumping out to a 9-0 lead just two minutes into the first half. Mary Washington continued to build their lead and headed into halftime with a comfortable 40-26 lead. Schultz racked up 10 points in the first half, shooting five-of-seven from the field. Justin Milstead had a solid showing in the first stanza with six points, shooting 50 percent from beyond the three-point arch, while adding four rebounds.
- Trailing 49-37 with 16:16 left in the second half, the Seahawks put together a seven-point run to cut their deficit to 49-44. Zach Spooner started the run with a timely three-pointer and Schultzhighlighted the scoring streak with an electrifying dunk.
- St. Mary’s managed to best Mary Washington in the second half, outscoring the Eagles 41-39 off a 68.2 shooting percentage from the field and draining 53.3 percent of their shots from three-point range.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned, Schultz led the Seahawks with 20 points, shooting 10-of-12 from the field and adding eight rebounds.
- Spooner shot 57.1 percent from three-point range and recorded 14 points. In addition, Milstead tallied 14 points as well, while collecting five rebounds and two assists.
- Reggie Rouse got his teammates involved on the offensive end, dishing out a team-high eight assists on the night.
- Greg Rowson led the Eagles in the scoring with 18 points, while Johnny Cronin tallied 16 points and nine rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 19 vs. Southern Virginia (4-12, 0-5 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 4:00 p.m.