News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (4-12, 0-5 CAC) dropped a tight 65-60 CAC matchup to the University of Mary Washington Eagles (9-7, 3-2 CAC) Wednesday (Jan. 16) night in the MPOBARC Arena.
St. Mary’s – 60, Mary Washington – 65
How It Happened
- Both offenses struggled to open the game as both squads played to an 8-8 tie to end the first quarter. The Seahawks shot just 18% from the floor in the opening quarter, but made up for their lack of offensive production with stingy defense, racking up four steals in the opening stanza. Hallie Persell finished with five points in the quarter and shot a perfect three-for-three from the charity stripe.
- Trailing 13-10 in the second quarter, St. Mary’s grabbed the lead with six consecutive points to go up 16-13 with 4:38 remaining. Gina Seifert accounted for four points during the run, while Katie Robey added a made jumper. The Seahawks were able to hold their lead for the remainder of the quarter and headed into halftime with a slim 20-19 advantage.
- The third quarter of action was dictated by the Eagles as they outscored the Seahawks 23-15. Mary Washington shot 66.7 percent from the field in the quarter and headed into the final stanza with a 42-35 lead over the Seahawks.
- Both offenses thrived in the fourth quarter, scoring a combined 48 points. St. Mary’s and Mary Washington exchanged scores throughout the final ten minutes of action and the Seahawks struggled to string together a scoring run for the comeback bid.
Inside the Box Score
- Robey led the Seahawks on the offensive end with 15 points for the third time this season for her best mark of the year. The senior guard shot 60 percent from the field and finished three-of-five from three-point range. In addition, Robey led St. Mary’s on the glass, gathering six rebounds.
- Kelli Jenkins tallied 14 points for the third time this season and added two steals to her stat line.
- Erika Carter led Mary Washington with 22 points off the bench and added six rebounds. Emily Thompson and Kayla Sakyifinished with 11 points each.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 19 vs. Southern Virginia (14-1, 5-0 CAC) – MPOBARC Arena – Capital Athletic Conference game – 2:00 p.m.