News Release, Office of Democrat Majority Leader Steny Hoyer(D-Md)
President Trump said he would be proud to shut down the government and that he would own it. Thirty-three days into this Trump shutdown, poll after poll shows he does own it. The American people overwhelmingly believe the President is responsible for the shutdown and agree with Democrats that the government needs to be reopened now.
AMorning Consult/Politico pollreleased January 23 found President Trump’s disapproval has hit a record high.
- 57% of Americans disapprove of President Trump’s job performance, the highest point since he was inaugurated.
- 54% of voters blame President Trump and Congressional Republicans for the government shutdown.
ANPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist surveyreleased January 17 found that President Trump’s approval rating is falling and showed cracks in his base support.
- President Trump’s approval rating fell 7 points since December, “and the movement has come from within key portions of his base.” For example:
- His apprval rating among Republicans fell a net 10 points.
- His apprval rating among suburban men fell a net 18 points.
- The percentage of people who strongly disapprove of the job President Trump is doing is up to 45%, the highest since December 2017.
AWashington Post/ABC pollreleased January 13 found more Americans blame President Trump and Congressional Republicans than Congressional Democrats for the shutdown.
- 53% of Americans say President Trump and Congressional Republicans are to blame for the shutdown.
- By more than a 2-1 margin (66% to 31%), Americans oppose President Trump invoking an emergency to build a border wall.
ACNN pollreleased January 13 also founda majority of Americans hold the President responsible for the shutdown, and his disapproval rating has increased by five points in the last month.
- 55% of the public blames President Trump for the shutdown.
- The President’s approval rating stands at 37% approve to 57% disapprove, with disapproval rising by five points since December.
AQuinnipiac pollreleased January 14 found thata strong majority of Americans support reopening government while border security negotiations continue.
- 63% of Americans support Democrats’ proposal to reopen parts of the government that do not involve border security while negotiating funding for the wall.
- 56% say President Trump and Congressional Republicans are responsible for the shutdown.
- 59% say that a border wall is not a good use of taxpayer dollars.
- 55% say that a border wall would not make the U.S. safer.
- 59 % say that a border wall is not necessary to protect the border.
- 52% say that a border wall is against American values.
ANPR/Ipsos pollreleased January 11 found thatAmericans believe the shutdown is embarrassing and will hurt the country.
- 74% of Americans believe the shutdown is embarrassing, including majorities from both paries.
- About 7-in-10 Americans say the shutdown is going to hurt the country.
It’s time for President Trump and Congressional Republicans to stop holding the government hostage, and instead work with Democrats to reopen government and end this Trump shutdown.
Clickhereto read the PDF.