News Release, Charles County Government
Shlagel Farms Agricultural Deer Operator Permit Activities near the Pinefield Community
On Dec. 11, 2018, Russell Shlagel, owner of Shlagel Farms (12850 Shlagel Road,Waldorf, MD20601[map]), requested a letter of support from the Charles County Board of Commissioners that was needed as part of an application to obtain an Agricultural Deer Cooperator Permit from the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. As part of their agreement to provide a letter of support, Commissioners requested written notice be provided to neighbors adjacent to the farm, and additional communications as needed.
- Why does Shlagel Farms need a deer hunting permit?The Maryland Department of Natural Resources has issued the Agricultural Deer Cooperator Permit to authorize hunting that will take place nightly on Shlagel Farms’ property. The purpose of this operation is to diminish the significant crop damage that occurs due to the overpopulation of deer.
- What is the time period for this deer hunting permit?Per the requirements of the state permit, hunting can only occur between sunset and sunrise from Feb. 1 through March 31.
- Commissioner Presentation Link:Watch the CCGTV broadcast of the presentation from Shlagel Farms[link]about the authorized activities and the state permit requirements on the county’sYouTube channel.
- What is the distance from the farm to the nearest housing development?All hunting activities will take place at least 1,000 yards away from any residential property or roadway that is adjacent to the Shlagel Farms property line. Map locations of the hunting activies are available in pdf format for download:Map 1andMap 2.
- Hunters Qualifications:Three hunters have been authorized and certified for this permit. They have completed all state-required tests, including shooting qualifications and a written exam.
Links for Additional Details: