News Release, The Patuxent Partnership
Awards reception to take place February 20
Lexington Park, MD (January 31, 2019)– The Patuxent Partnership announces the winners of its 2019 Science & Engineering awards for middle and high school students in St. Mary’s County.
Eight St. Mary’s County Science and Engineering Fair participants from senior and junior divisions were selected for awards in the areas of aeronautics and aerospace; electrical and electronics; environmental and biological; and unmanned systems.
Aeronautics and Aerospace Award
- Senior Division: Madelyn Chisolm, Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center, “Blind Spot Camera System”
- Junior Division: Peter Imhof, Spring Ridge Middle School, “Best Speed for Your Buck”
Electrical and Electronics Award
- Senior Division: Tom Wilson, Great Mills High School, “Best Tour of the Store”
- Junior Division: Jackson Collins, Spring Ridge Middle School, “Wander No More”
Environmental and Biological Award
- Senior Division: Julia Marino, Dr. James A. Forrest Career and Technology Center, “Algae Harvest Buoy”
- Junior Division: Ria Sharma, Spring Ridge Middle School, “Oil Spill Clean Up with Nanotechnology”
Unmanned Systems Chief Engineer Award
- Senior Division: Ryan Lowe and Ryan Williams, Great Mills High School, “Robotic Arm Control Using Body Motion Tracking”
- Junior Division: Anna Redman, Spring Ridge Middle School, “Crab Code”
Students will receive their awards and showcase their projects at a reception on February 20 at Great Mills High School from 5:00-6:30 p.m.
Guest speaker Dr. Troy Townsend, assistant professor of chemistry at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, will offer his remarks about the importance of STEM and the significance of the students’ achievements.
Members of the public are invited to attend the special awards reception. Advanced registration is required. A $5 per person donation will help cover the cost of refreshments. For more information, please visitwww.paxpartnership.orgor contact Jen Brown, programs and membership director, email@example.com, (301) 866-1739 x318.
The Patuxent Partnership grants special awards for participants in St. Mary’s, Calvert, and Charles County science fairs. Winners are selected by a team of volunteers who are members of The Patuxent Partnership.
The Patuxent Partnership, its benefactors and corporate members sponsor many of the Southern Maryland region’s STEM education programs, competitions and initiatives, including the recent Air Force Association CyberPatriot cyber defense competition and VEX robotics competitions.