News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (1-2) dropped a 9-5 non-conference contest to the visiting Elizabethtown College Blue Jays (1-1) on Saturday (Feb. 23) afternoon. The Seahawks received scores from four different goal scorers.
How It Happened
- Elizabethtown held a 2-0 lead over the Seahawks with short time remaining in the first quarter. The Seahawks finished the opening stanza on a high note with a goal fromErich Wuesthoffoff aMax Groenassist with 1:32 remaining in the quarter.
- Goals were hard to come by in the second quarter as both teams could only find the back of the net once. The Blue Jays struck first in the stanza and the Seahawks followed with an unassisted goal fromBen Claffee. St. Mary’s College headed into the half trailing 3-2.
- The Seahawks took their first and only lead of the game to open the second half with back-to-back goals.Wuesthofftallied his second goal of the contest to start the run andDominic Venanzifollowed with a score in the top right corner of the cage. The Seahawk lead was short lived as the Blue Jays answered with four-straight scores for a 7-4 advantage. St. Mary’s College was able to slow Elizabethtown’s momentum with a goal fromRay LaPlacain the final minute of the third quarter. In the final stanza, the Blue Jays recorded the only two goals and held on for the 9-5 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Wuesthoffled the Seahawks with two goals on the day.LaPlaca,Venanzi, andClaffeealso found the back of the net, whileJude BrownandGroendished out one assist each.
- On the defensive end,Luke McWrightcaused a team-best four turnovers andAlex Pfaffadded three.Michael Buccicollected a team-high 10 groundballs and finished nine-of-16 in faceoffs. In goal,Ross Snodderlygathered 10 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 27 at Eastern – 3:30 p.m.