News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (1-2) dropped a 9-5 non-conference contest to the visiting Elizabethtown College Blue Jays (1-1) on Saturday (Feb. 23) afternoon. The Seahawks received scores from four different goal scorers.
How It Happened
- Elizabethtown held a 2-0 lead over the Seahawks with short time remaining in the first quarter. The Seahawks finished the opening stanza on a high note with a goal from Erich Wuesthoff off a Max Groen assist with 1:32 remaining in the quarter.
- Goals were hard to come by in the second quarter as both teams could only find the back of the net once. The Blue Jays struck first in the stanza and the Seahawks followed with an unassisted goal from Ben Claffee. St. Mary’s College headed into the half trailing 3-2.
- The Seahawks took their first and only lead of the game to open the second half with back-to-back goals. Wuesthoff tallied his second goal of the contest to start the run and Dominic Venanzi followed with a score in the top right corner of the cage. The Seahawk lead was short lived as the Blue Jays answered with four-straight scores for a 7-4 advantage. St. Mary’s College was able to slow Elizabethtown’s momentum with a goal from Ray LaPlaca in the final minute of the third quarter. In the final stanza, the Blue Jays recorded the only two goals and held on for the 9-5 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Wuesthoff led the Seahawks with two goals on the day. LaPlaca, Venanzi, and Claffee also found the back of the net, while Jude Brown and Groen dished out one assist each.
- On the defensive end, Luke McWright caused a team-best four turnovers and Alex Pfaff added three. Michael Buccicollected a team-high 10 groundballs and finished nine-of-16 in faceoffs. In goal, Ross Snodderly gathered 10 saves.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 27 at Eastern – 3:30 p.m.