News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
FROSTBURG, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball (8-17-2, 2-12-1 CAC) played to a 5-5 tie on Sunday (Apr. 14) morning to wrap up the series against the Frostburg St. Bobcats (11-13-1, 1-11-1 CAC).
How It Happened
- Trailing 1-0, the Seahawks pushed three runs across the plate in the third inning to take a 3-1 lead over the Bobcats. Holden Marshallroped a two RBI single to right center and Joey Bryner advanced a run home on a fielder’s choice. Next, the Bobcats evened the score at three a piece with two runs in the fourth inning.
- St. Mary’s College grabbed the lead once again with two runs in the top of the fifth. Bowen Plagge started the scoring in the inning with a RBI single. Moments later, Plagge stole second and forced a throwing error by the Bobcats, advancing Jay Hammett home.
- Frostburg tacked on two more runs between the fifth and seventh inning to knot the game up at seven. Solid pitching the rest of the way kept the game tied.
Inside the Box Score
- Marshall led the Seahawks from the plate, finishing four-of-five with two RBI. Hammett, Plagge, and Andy Collins finished the contest with two hits each.
- Mark Smith made his debut on the mound after being injured all year, but made a quick exit with only one inning pitched. Jackson Edelman, Connor Manion, Nick Testoni, and Ben Webster pitched in relief. Webster held the Bobcats scoreless and struck out one batter in the eighth inning. The game was suspended due to rain.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 16 vs. Gwynedd Mercy – 4:00 p.m. | Hawk’s Nest