News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s lacrosse (9-6, 2-2 CAC) fell to the Christopher Newport University Captains (11-6, 4-2 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference play on Wednesday (Apr. 17) afternoon. The Seahawks fell to the Captains 14-6.
How It Happened
- The Captains took the early advantage by pulling out to a 4-0 lead with 2:07 remaining in the first quarter. With short time remaining in the opening stanza, the Seahawks pulled themselves back into the game with back-to-back scores to end the quarter.Abe HubbardandJeremiah Clemmerfound the back of the net during the short scoring burst.
- St. Mary’s College struggled in the second quarter of action as they were outscored 5-1.Max Groentallied the lone Seahawk goal in the quarter off of an extra-man-opportunity. In the third quarter, Christopher Newport strung together a 3-1 run to take a 12-4 lead over the Seahawks. However, the Seahawks tallied back-to-back goals to end the stanza and headed into the final quarter of action trailing 12-6.Ben ClaffeeandGroennetted goals to end the quarter.
- The Captains tallied the only two goals of the fourth quarter to down the Seahawks.
Inside the Box Score
- Dominic Venanziled the Seahawks on the offensive end with three points off of one goal and two assists.Groenfollowed with two goals.
- Luke McWrightled the Seahawks with two caused turnovers andRoss Snodderlycollected 13 saves in cage.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Apr. 20 vs. Frostburg St. – 2:00 p.m. | Capital Athletic Conference contest | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium | Senior Day