Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
News Release, Charles County Board of Education
The Board of Education’s next monthly meeting is Tuesday, June 11 at the Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building on Radio Station Road in La Plata. The public portion of the meeting begins at 1 p.m. and student and staff recognition starts at 4:30 p.m. The meeting is televised live on Comcast Channel 96 and Verizon FiOS Channel 12 and rebroadcast throughout the week.
Board meetings are streamed live on the school system website atccboe.com. Select the live streaming image displayed in the center of the home page. The following is a tentative meeting agenda and is subject to change.
Executive session– 12 p.m.
Call to order– 1 p.m.
Pledge of Allegiance, North Point High School
Swearing-in of new Student Board Member
Recognition of student state winners
Contract vote/signing– American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) and Education Association of Charles County (EACC)
Reports of officers/boards/committees
- Correspondence/Board Member updates
- EACC update
- AFSCME update
- Student Board Member update
- North Point career and technology education (CTE) program selection process
- Student services update
- Project status update
- Lead testing
- Waldorf opportunity zones: Economic Development briefing
- Funding for non-athletic competitions
- Policy committee assignments
- Core values follow-up
New business and future agenda items
- New business
- Future agenda items
Recognition– 4:30 p.m.
- Washington PostTeacher of the Year awards program: Brooke Shnipes, English teacher, La Plata High School
- Maryland Teacher of the Year awards program:Melinda Wright, second-grade teacher, Mt. Hope/Nanjemoy Elementary School
- Outstanding Vice Principal of the Year Award: Anthony Carroll, vice principal, Matthew Henson Middle School
- Outstanding Support Staff Awards: Ronald Brawner Jr., maintenance worker, CCPS maintenance shop; Marie Woodland, building service assistant manager, Jesse L. Starkey Administration Building; Tammy Dudley, kindergarten instructional assistant, J.C. Parks Elementary School; and Ronald Cave, computer analyst, Starkey.
Public Forum– 6 p.m.
- School year 2020-21 calendar
- New CTE program textbooks
- Discipline Review Committee: cell phone policy
- Educational Facilities Master Plan
- Contract for Eva Turner Elementary School renovations
- FY 2020 operating budget