News Release, Charles County Public Schools
The Charles County Public Schools (CCPS) Summer school program begins July 9 for students at St. Charles High School. New this year is a required online registration process through ParentVue. The online registration window opens June 3 and closes June 25. In order to register a child for a summer school course, parents must have an active ParentVue account. Enrollment in any summer school course is on a first come, first-served basis. CCPS does not provide transportation for summer school.
To register a student for a summer school course, parents must first login to an existing ParentVue account. Parents will need to download the course approval form located under the documents tab in ParentVue before moving forward with registration. Then, select the Online Registration tab located in the top right menu of the ParentVue home screen. Parents who have not activated their ParentVue account must contact their child’s school to receive an activation code.
After the registration process is complete, parents will be prompted for online payment through My School Bucks. Payment is due at time of registration. Parents who do not have computer access or prefer to pay in person with cash or a money order can attend the in-person registration set for 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, June 25 at the Robert D. Stethem Educational Center.
Computers will be available at Stethem on June 25 for parents in need of registration assistance. No registrations will be accepted after 6 p.m. June 25, either online or in person. Students are not considered registered until payment is processed.
Summer school graduation is set for 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 8 in the auditorium at St. Charles. St. Charles is located at 5305 Piney Church Road in Waldorf.
Summer school classes are offered during two different sessions: 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. (period one), or 10:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. (period two), Monday through Friday. Some courses are only offered during one session. A brochure with course details is posted on the CCPS website athttps://www.ccboe.com/index.php/summer-school.
Regular make-up courses – $200 per course
The following one-credit make-up courses are available through summer school.
- Algebra I; Algebra II; algebra with trigonometry and statistics; biology; chemistry; chemistry with Earth systems; Earth systems; English I, II and III; Foundations of Technology; geometry; and Personal Financial Literacy.
Extended make-up course for LSN government
- An extended make-up course for Local, State and National (LSN) Government is available 7:30 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. Monday through Friday with students having the option to take the High School Assessment (HSA) on Aug. 2. Cost of the course is $200.
Fit for Life make-up course
- Students can complete the half credit Fit for Life course July 9-24, Monday through Friday from 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. Cost of the course is $100.
Original credit courses – $300 per course
- Two options are available for original credit through summer school: Personal Financial Literacy and English III.
- CCPS students who have completed one year of high school can register for Personal Financial Literacy.
- Students who have met all requirements to graduate at the end of their junior year and have an approved application on file at school that indicates they can graduate as a junior can take English III for original credit during summer school.
Middle school make-up classes – $200 per course
- Middle school students can take make-up classes during summer school. Courses include language arts, math, science and social studies. Classes are Monday through Friday and available during both periods – 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
Blended courses – face-to-face/online instruction
Blended courses are a combination of face-to-face instruction with online course components. Students who enroll in a blended course should be self-motivated, independent learners with basic computer skills. Students will also need access to a computer and the internet to complete the online class components. Blended courses do not meet National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) requirements.
Blended make-up courses – $200 per course
- Blended make-up courses are Monday through Friday from either 7:30 to 10:30 a.m. or 10:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
- Blended make-up courses include English III, English IV, Spanish I, Spanish II, U.S. history and world history.
Blended original credit courses – $300 per course
- Students can take a blended course in either English IV, Fit for Life or Personal Financial Literacy for original credit.
- English IV is available for students who have completed four years of high school but are not in their graduation cohort. The CCPS supervising school counselor, Alicia Jones, must approve enrollment.
- Fit for Life and Personal Financial Literacy original credit courses are available to CCPS students who have already completed one year of high school.