ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (2-0) competed in their home opener in the completed Jamie L. Roberts Stadium on Wednesday (Sept. 4) evening and defeated the Bridgewater College Eagles (0-3) 2-0. Two first-half goals from Meghan Ronan and Gabrielle Corder propelled the Seahawks to their victory over the Eagles.
How It Happened
- The Eagles started the game by controlling possession on their offensive end of the field during the early segment of the first quarter. However, the Seahawks figured out the Eagle offensive attack and quickly turned the momentum in their favor. St. Mary’s College went on to outshoot the Eagle 5-1 in the opening stanza and recorded their first score of the game fromRonanin the eighth minute.
- The Seahawks brought their momentum from the first quarter into the second, firing off five shots and holding the Eagles to zero.Cordertallied the second goal of the night when she found space and ripped a shot into the back of the cage in the 18th minute.
- Both squads held one another scoreless for the remainder of the game, but the Eagles had their opportunities in the second half to score. Bridgewater was awarded seven penalty corners in the second half of play compared to the Seahawks one. However, the St. Mary’s College defense quickly shut down any scoring opportunities the Eagles created.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,RonanandCorderled the Seahawks on the offensive end with one goal each. In addition,Veronica Maringwas credited with an assist. In goal,Kelbey Egerlandimproved to 2-0 on the year and held the Eagles scoreless. She collected two saves in the shutout effort.
- St. Mary’s College held the advantage over Bridgewater in shots (12-3), but the Eagles led the Seahawks in penalty corners (10-5).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 7 vs. Eastern Mennonite | 6 p.m | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks