ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team improved to 3-0 with a convincing 4-1 victory over the visiting Bridgewater College Eagles (1-1) on Saturday (Sept. 7) afternoon. The Seahawks earned the victory in the Seahawks Classic after the Jamie L. Roberts Stadium Dedication.
How It Happened
- The Seahawks recorded their first score of the contest whenKhalid Balogunbeat his defender, causing his opponent to foul and earning a penalty kick.Baloguntook full advantage of the opportunity and beat the opposing goalkeeper for the score. Four minutes later,Anoi Hindletallied his first goal of the season to put the Seahawks ahead by two in the 12th minute.
- The Seahawk momentum quickly stalled after back-to-back goals, thanks to a score from the Eagles just 30 seconds later in the 12th minute.
- The second half of action was another competitive segment of the game. The Seahawks finished with 10 shots compared to the Eagles eight and accumulated three corners compared to the Eagles one. However, St. Mary’s College was able to find the back of the net twice to seal the victory.Balogunnotched his second goal of the afternoon in the 49th minute to extend the Seahawk lead to two. Next,Baloguncaptured his third goal of the game in the 89th minute from an accurate assist fromIsaac Ekobo.
Inside the Box Score
- Balogunled the Seahawks with three goals on the afternoon and now has a team-best 14 points this season.Cristobal Corvalan,Jacob Breslauer, andEkobotallied one assist each. In goal,Patrick Paolinicollected a season-best six saves.
- St. Mary’s College edged Bridgewater in shots (17-14) and corner kicks (9-1).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 8 vs. Kean | 4:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium | Seahawk Classic
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks