ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland field hockey team (5-0) remained perfect on the season with a 2-0 victory over the visiting Roanoke College Maroons (2-1) on Saturday (Sept. 14) afternoon in non-conference action. Two fourth-quarter goals from Kelly Emge lifted the Seahawks past the Maroons.
St. Mary’s – 2, Roanoke – 0
How It Happened
- The first half of the action was highly competitive and witnessed both squads remain scoreless. The Seahawks did control offensive possession for most of the half and outshout the Maroons 7-1. Additionally, St. Mary’s College earned four penalty corners compared to Roanoke’s one.
- After a scoreless third quarter, the Seahawks broke the goose egg on the scoreboard with two scores in the final stanza. St. Mary’s College capture their first score of the game in the 47th minute when Meghan Ronan fed Emge for the goal. Just over a minute later, the Seahawks tacked on their second goal to seal the victory. Emge once again found the back of the cage and Gabrielle Corder was credited with the assist.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Emgeled the Seahawks with two goals for a total of four points on the afternoon.RonanandCordertallied one assist each, respectively. In goal,Kelbey Egerlandimproved to 5-0 and gathered two saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks held the advantage in shots (19-4) and penalty corners (12-10).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Sept. 15 vs. Ferrum | 1:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmfh
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMFH | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks