FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (6-2-1) opened up Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action on the road against the No. 14 Mary Washington Eagles on Saturday (Sept. 28) afternoon. The Seahawks were held scoreless and fell to the Eagles 4-0.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Mary Washington – 4
How It Happened
- The Eagles built an early lead with back-to-back goals from Jeremy Hockenson for a two-goal lead just 27 minutes into the first half. St. Mary’s College managed to fire off six shots in the half but were unable to find the back of the net. Mary Washington tacked on another goal in the 33rd minute and held a 3-0 lead heading into halftime.
- St. Mary’s College picked up their intensity in the second half and attempted to cut into the Mary Washington lead. The Seahawks managed to record seven shots in the second half but were also charged with two yellow cards. Finally, Mary Washington sealed their 4-0 victory with a goal in the 49th minute.
Inside the Box Score
- Khalid Balogun led the Seahawks with four shots but was unable to record any on goal. Thomas Williamson followed with two shots on goal, while Josh McRobie and Cristobal Corvalan tallied one each, respectively. Patrick Paolini played all 90 minutes in goal and collected a season-best 10 saves on the afternoon.
- As a team, the Seahawks were edged in shots (17-13) and corner kicks (9-4).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 2 vs. York (Pa.) | 7:00 PM | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks