ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer (7-2-1, 1-1 CAC) tallied their first Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) victory of the season with a 2-1 win over the York College Spartans (4-4-2) on Wednesday (Oct. 2) evening. Head men’s soccer coach Alun Oliver ’04 became the winningest coach in program history with his 77th career victory. The previous mark of 76 was held by former head coach and current assistant coach Herb Gainey.
St. Mary’s College – 2, York – 1
How It Happened
- The Seahawks took the early lead in a competitive first half with a goal fromRoshawn Pantonin the 16th minute.Josh McRobiewas credited with the assist on the Seahawks first goal of the evening. With time dwindling down in the first half, the Spartans responded with a goal fromIsiah Dorseyto tie the game at one.
- St. Mary’s College recaptured the momentum in the early stages of the second half with a goal to take the lead in the 51st minute.McRobiebeat the opposing goalkeeper for the go-ahead goal, thanks to a well-placed assist fromAnoi Hindle. The Seahawk defense faced a couple of shots on goal down the stretch, butCristian Reyeswas there to collect the saves.
Inside the Box Score
- McRobieled the Seahawks on the offensive end with one goal and one assist for a total of three points. The senior forward is now second on the team in points with 14 on the year.Pantonnotched his sixth goal of the year in the first half, which is good for the second-best mark on the team.Reyesstarted his first game in goal and earned his first victory of the season.
- As a team, the Seahawks edged the Spartans in shots (12-11), but trailed York in corner kicks (6-3).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 5 vs. Salisbury | 7:00 PM | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium | Hawktoberfest
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks