ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (4-12,0-2) hosted the York College Spartans (12-9, 1-1) for a Capital Athletic Conference matchup Wednesday night (Oct. 2). The Seahawks fell to the Spartans in three sets.
St. Mary’s College – 0, York College – 3
How It Happened
- The Seahawks jumped out to a 2-0 lead but dropped the next ten points and trailed the Spartans 12-2. York stretched that score into a 22-6 lead but from there St. Mary’s College won ten of the next 12 points to bring the score to 24-16. Unfortunately, the early lead surrendered to the Spartans would prove too much to overcome as they dropped the set 25-16.
- York got off to another hot start in the second set as they came out to a 12-4 lead. However, the Seahawks would once again battle back to bring the score to an even 21-21. York led 23-22 and that would be the closest St. Mary’s College would get as they dropped the second set 25-22.
- The third set started in a 6-6 tie until St. Mary’s College went on a three-point run to make it 9-6 and later stretched that into a 12-8 lead. The Seahawks eventually surrendered the lead and trailed 16-15 later in the set. Next, York scored four straight points and would later go on to take the set and secure the match with a score of 25-21.
Inside the Box Score
- For the second straight match, first-year Kyra Feinaeur led the Seahawks in kills with ten. Erin Krauss and Ellyse Sutliff followed with four kills each, respectively.
- Fatima Bouzid had 21 assists on the day which led the Seahawks.
- Senior Emily Benedict led the Seahawks in digs with 19 while Bouzid was second with ten.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 4 vs Gallaudet University | 4:00 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks