ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland sailing team competed in two regattas this weekend (Oct. 5-6). One hosted by Georgetown University and the other was on campus taking place on the St. Mary’s River.
How it Happened
- On the Potomac River, one division raced this weekend in the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta. The Seahawks were greeted by overcast skies and cool weather. St. Mary’s College had a total of three boats racing in this regatta and finished tenth, 16th, and 17th. In 17th place with 233 points wasHunter Cuttingas the skipper and his crew as Ellie Sekowski for the first seven races andJulia Faranettafor the remaining eight.
- Finishing in 16th place with 189 points were skippersOscar MacGillivrayfor the first seven races withErin McPhillipsas his crew. For the remaining eight races the skipper wasChris BooherwithAllison Gingerichas the crew. In tenth place, wasJessica Bennettas the skipper for the first seven races along withGenna Viggianoas the crew. For the remaining races,Katherine Bennettwas the skipper withLaura Dennisonas the crew.
- The St. Mary’s River was also busy this weekend with Hawktoberfest in full swing and the Coed Showcase. Two divisions raced with Seahawks finishing in fifth and 14th place. In Division B, St. Mary’s College finished fifth with 126 points. The skipper wasLewis Cooperand his crew wasSophia Taczakfor races one through 14 andLucas Masiellowas his crew for races 15 through 18.
- The Seahawks placed 14th in Division A scoring 203 points. The skipper wasLeo Boucherand his crew changed fromAshley Wagnerfor the first 16 races toSam Muirfor the final two races. Division A and B were combined for an overall score of 329 points which was good for eighth place in the showcase.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12-13 | Women’s Showcase Final | St. Mary’s College of Maryland
- Oct. 12-13 | Oyster Bowl | Old Dominion University
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smc_sailing
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMC_Sailing | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks