NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (8-3-1, 2-2) traveled to the No. 21 Christopher Newport University Captains (7-1-3, 4-0) on Wednesday (Oct. 9) evening for Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) action. The Seahawks fell to the Captains 3-1.
St. Mary’s College – 1, No. 21 Christopher Newport – 3
How It Happened
- The first half of action was controlled by the Captains as they outshot the Seahawks 7-0. However, Christopher Newport only managed to find the back of net once off of their seven shots with a goal fromCory Hoggein the 36th minute.
- St. Mary’s evened the game at one apiece in the 58th minute with a goal fromKhalid Balogun.Josh McRobiefreedBalogunup with a well-placed long ball andBalogunsmoked a shot past the opposing goalkeeper.
- The Seahawks struggled to find chances for the remainder of the game and the Captains recorded two goals to seal the victory.Will CollinsandKobe Smithtallied the two Captain second half scores.
Inside the Box Score
- Balogun’sgoal tonight gives him a team-best 29 points and 13 goals on the season. In addition, his mark in goals and points leads the CAC.McRobieadded a point to his season stat line and now sits at second in the conference in points (19) and assists (5). In goal,Cristian Reyesmade his second start of the season and collected four saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks were edged in shots (18-6) and corner kicks (6-2). It was a chippy game as three yellow cards were handed out to the Captains, while two were charged to the Seahawks.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 11 vs. Southern Virginia | 7:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks