ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s soccer team (2-10, 0-4 CAC) fell this evening to a nationally ranked team, Christopher Newport University (11-0-2, 4-0 CAC). The Seahawks did not give up without a fight and were able to score in the second half.
St. Mary’s College – 1, No. 3 Christopher Newport – 3
How it Happened
- The first goal of the evening was scored by Christopher Newport off of a free-kick inside the Seahawks’ defensive end, just outside of goalkeeper, Audra Haines‘ reach. Defenders, Lauren Baker, Maddie Schwarz, and Cameron Mangold did a fantastic job of breaking up scrambles in front of Haines‘ cage. The second goal of the evening was scored by the Captains in the 20th minute.
- The third goal for Christopher Newport wasn’t until the 19th minute of the second half which was answered back very quickly by St. Mary’s College midfielder, Nefret Perunko. Perunko found the back of the net off of a nicely placed ball from the senior captain, Baker.
- The Seahawks’ tenacity was unwavering this evening as they faced tough competition. The St. Mary’s College defense faced 32 shots with numerous of them being off of free-kicks. Haines held composure nicely seeing a total of eleven shots on goal and making eight saves.
Inside the Box Score
- Bakerjoins the assist club with her first of the season this evening.Perunkonow has a 100% shooting percentage which is good for first on the team.
- Gabby Manning,Lauren Giron,Emma Schroeder, andPerunkoall had one shot apiece this evening.Hainesnow has a save percentage of 66% and a total of 52 saves this season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12th vs. Southern Virginia | 4:30 P.M. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks