NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (5-14,0-4) traveled to Christopher Newport University (16-6, 4-0) Wednesday evening (Oct. 9) for a Capital Athletic Conference matchup. The Seahawks dropped the match with a score of 3-0.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Christopher Newport University – 3
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College battled hard against the Captains and led late in the first set at 16-14. However, the Captains scored 11 of the next 18 points to take a 25-21 win and a 1-0 lead over the Seahawks.
- The Captains took a comfortable lead early against the Seahawks and would not look back as they secured a convincing 25-12 second set win.
- Christopher Newport held an early 12-6 lead over St. Mary’s College and later extended that to a 20-8 lead. Ellyse Sutliff and Nancy Slaughter combined for a block to help stop the bleeding and helped the Seahawks start a three-point run to bring the score to 20-11. Ultimately, the late run proved to be too little too late as the Seahawks dropped the set and match with a final score of 25-12.
Inside the Box Score
- Sutliff led the Seahawks in kills with seven while Kyra Feinaeur was second with six.
- Fatima Bouzid continued to lead in assists as she recorded 16 on the day.
- Senior Emily Benedict led in digs with 12 while Bouzid was behind her with five.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 12 vs Southern Virginia University | 11:00 A.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletic and Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks