Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (9-3-1, 3-2 CAC) hosted the visiting Southern Virginia University Knights (2-12, 0-5 CAC) in a Capital Athletic Conference battle on Friday (Oct. 11) evening. The Seahawks edged the Knights 2-1 due to a pair of first-half scores.
St. Mary’s College – 2, Southern Virginia – 1
How It Happened
- Chances were hard to come by in the early stages of the first half, but the Seahawks were finally able to come away with their first goal in the 34th minute. Josh McRobie beat the opposing goalkeeper for the score and Khalid Balogun was credited with the assist. Next, the Seahawks extended their lead in the 42nd minute when Roshawn Panton ripped a shot into the top left corner of the cage. Thomas Williamson played a nice ball to Panton to set up the scoring chance.
- St. Mary’s College had a plethora of chances in the second half, outshooting the Knights 9-2, but failed to find the back of the net. However, the Knights did take advantage of one of their scoring chances with a goal from Zach Martin in the 48th minute. With less than ten minutes remaining, the Seahawks played keep-away from the Knights and held on for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- With his goal tonight, McRobie has scored at least one point in the last four games. In addition, McRobie is second on the team in points with 21 and second in goals with eight. Panton recorded his seventh goal of the season tonight, while Williamson recorded his first point of the season with an assist this evening. Balogun tacked on another point to his stat line and now has 30 on the season, which leads the Seahawks. In goal, Patrick Paolini notched his eighth win of the season and collected two saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks held the advantage in shots (23-2) and corner kicks (2-0).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 16 vs. No. 21 Christopher Newport | 7:00 p.m. | Jamie L. Roberts Stadium
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks