NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College women’s soccer team (3-11, 1-5 CAC) fell this evening to nationally ranked, Christopher Newport University (12-1-2, 5-1-0 CAC). The Seahawks battled on the Captains’ home turf and the final score was 7-0.
St. Mary’s College – 0, No. 8 Christopher Newport – 7
How it Happened
- In the second matchup of the regular season, St. Mary’s College fell to Christopher Newport who is currently ranked eighth in Division III women’s soccer. The Seahawks’ defense held the Captains to one goal in the first half, which found the back of the net in the 30th minute.
- The second goal of the evening was scored by Christopher Newport off of a penalty kick. The third goal was just outside ofAudra Haines‘ reach off of a hard pass from the left side of the field. During the 61st minute, another penalty kick ended in a goal for the Captains.
- The fifth goal of the evening was shot into the left side of the net and was followed by another goal which was flicked into the net off a scramble. Another shot to the left side caused the final goal of the evening. Despite all the action,Haineswas able to tally 15 saves this evening.
Inside the Box Score
- Hainesnow has 69 saves this season thus far and a save percentage of 67%.Megan Tazzastill holds the top spot for shooting with 13 shots total.Kaitlyn Steignerhas the most goals this season with a total of three.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 19 at Salisbury University | 2:00 P.M. | Sea Gull Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmwsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WSOCCER | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks