ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer (9-4-1, 3-3 CAC) took on the visiting No. 17 Christopher Newport University (CNU) Captains (9-1-3, 6-0 CAC) on Wednesday (Oct. 16) night in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Seahawks fell to the Captains 4-1 and CNU collected the regular-season sweep.
St. Mary’s College – 1, No. 17 Christopher Newport – 4
How It Happened
- CNU raced out to a 3-0 lead in the first half thanks to goals from Derek Cook, Will Collins, and Lincoln Kickbush. The Captains tallied their goals in the 20th, 26th, and 38th minutes of the first half. The Seahawks managed to fire off two shots in the first half, but failed to convert on their chances.
- In the second half, the Seahawks captured the momentum when Khalid Balogun tapped a header into the back of the net in the 50th minute. The chance was created by a well-placed ball from Zackary Yurich off of a corner kick. Five minutes later, Balogun was charged with his second yellow card of the night and the Seahawks were forced to play a man-down for the remainder of the match. St. Mary’s College notched a total of five shots in the second half, but couldn’t overcome their early deficit.
Inside the Box Score
- Balogun recorded the lone goal of the evening for the Seahawks to increase his season total in goals to 14 and points to 32. Both marks lead the conference. Yurich tallied his first point of the season from an assist in the 50th minute. In goal, Cristian Reyes made his third start of the season and collected four saves.
- As a team, the Seahawks were edged in shots (12-7) and corner kicks (6-1). In addition, a total of five cards were handed out on the evening with three being charged to the Seahawks and two to the Captains.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 19 at Salisbury | 7:00 PM | Sea Gull Soccer Stadium
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks