ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland volleyball team (5-19,0-8) continued their season against the Christopher Newport University Captains (20-7, 8-0) in a Capital Athletic Conference matchup Wednesday evening (Oct. 23). The Seahawks dropped the match 3-0.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Christopher Newport University – 3
How It Happened
- CNU raced out to an 11-3 lead in the first set and never looked back as they comfortably won 25-13.
- St. Mary’s College woke up in the second set and took an early 11-5 lead over the Captains. Christopher Newport slowly crept back into the set until it was 19-18 in favor of the Seahawks. The Captains went on a late run and won six of the final seven points for a 25-19 second set win.
- The two teams traded points early in the third set until it was an even 9-9. St. Mary’s College later found themselves down 20-17 and would not be able to overcome that deficit as they dropped the third 25-19.
Inside the Box Score
- Ellyse Sutliff led the Seahawks in kills as she recorded five with Erin Krauss right behind her with three.
- Katie Agate tallied ten assists to lead St. Mary’s College.
- Agate and Chanel Lucas each registered five digs to lead the Seahawks defensively.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 29 at Southern Virginia University | 7:00 P.M. | Knight Arena and Stoddard Center
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCMVB
Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmvb | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks