ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (10-5-2, 4-4-1 CAC) hosted the visiting University of Mary Washington Eagles (11-3-3, 6-2-1 CAC) on Saturday (Oct. 26) evening in a pivotal Capital Athletic Conference matchup. The Seahawks led late in the game but played to a 2-2 draw with the Eagles.
St. Mary’s College – 2, Mary Washington – 2
How It Happened
- The Seahawks struck first in the highly competitive match in the 36th minute of action. St. Mary’s College earned a penalty kick and Owen Smith sent a well-placed ball to Khalid Balogun. The senior forward headed the ball into the back of the net for the Seahawks first goal on Senior Night. However, the lead didn’t last long as Mary Washington quickly answered in the 39th minute with a goal from Kris Schulte.
- Tied 1-1 at the half, the Seahawks jumped ahead of the Eagles once again with a score in the 56th minute. Roshawn Panton ripped a shot from outside the box to give the Seahawks the lead. Josh McRobie was credited with the assist on the Seahawks second goal of the evening. With time dwindling down in regulation, Mary Washington put a halt to the Seahawk upset with a goal in the 85th minute. Gabriel Soriano scored for Mary Washington off of a free-kick.
- Both squads struggled to find great looks on goal in overtime and the game ended in a draw. The Eagles pushed the momentum in the second overtime, outshooting the Seahawks 5-1.
Inside the Box Score
- Baloguncontinues to lead the Seahawks in goals with 15 and points with 34. Both marks also lead the CAC.Pantonis now second on the team in goals with nine, whileMcRobieis second on the squad in points with 24.Patrick PaoliniandCristian Reyessplit time in goal tonight. Both keepers collected three saves each.
- The Eagles edged the Seahawks on the stat sheet in shots (25-23) and corner kicks (8-6).
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Oct. 30 at Southern Virginia | 7:00 p.m. | Knight Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks