ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s soccer team (12-5-2, 5-4-1 CAC) hosted the Southern Virginia University Knights (2-18, 0-10 CAC) in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinals on Saturday (Nov. 2) afternoon. The third-seeded Seahawks handled the sixth-seeded Knights by defeating them 3-0.
St. Mary’s College – 3, Southern Virginia – 0
How It Happened
- St. Mary’s College started the first half by dominating possession on their offensive end of the field. The Seahawks continued to create superb scoring chances but struggled to finish.Jacob Breslauerfinally put the Seahawks on the scoreboard when he found the back of the net off a corner with just 13 seconds remaining in the opening half.Owen Smithsent the ball into the box and was credited with the assist.
- The second half of action was similar to the first with the Seahawks controlling offensive possession and firing off shots at an impressive rate. St. Mary’s College extended their lead to two whenRoshawn Pantonplaced a shot past the opposing goalkeeper in front of the cage in the 69th minute. Lastly, the Seahawks tacked on another goal for good measure in the 84th minute whenZack Glimeblasted a shot into the back of the net.Jack Eskaywas credited with the assist.
Inside the Box Score
- The Seahawks received goals from three different goal scorers this evening asBreslauer,Panton, andGlimetallied goals.BreslauerandGlimerecorded their first goals of the season in the contest, whilePantonnotched his 10th.Panton’s10 goals are good for second on the team and second in the conference. In goal,Cristian ReyesandPatrick Paolinisplit time and collected one save each.
- St. Mary’s College outshot Southern Virginia 36-3 and earned 12 corner kicks compared to the Knights one.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 6 at Mary Washington | 2:30 p.m. | CAC Tournament Semifinal | Battleground Athletic Complex – Grass Stadium
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcmmsoccer
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MSOCCER | Hashtags:#SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks