BALTIMORE, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (0-2) traveled to the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC) to take on the Division I Retrievers (3-0) on Wednesday (Nov. 13) afternoon in an exhibition. The Seahawks competed but fell 79-57 to the Retrievers.
St. Mary’s College – 57, UMBC – 79
How It Happened
- The Seahawks played exceptionally well in the first half of action and ended the half tied 33-33. St. Mary’s College strung together an 11 point scoring run with 3:35 remaining in the half to grab a seven-point lead. Gary Grant capped off the impressive run with a layup in the paint and drew a foul. Grant went on to drain the free throw for the seven-point Seahawk advantage. The opportunistic Seahawks hustled for seven steals in the half and scored 13 points off of Retriever errors.
- UMBC picked up their intensity in the second half and used a seven-point run to take a four-point lead with 17:05 remaining. The Retrievers shot 60.7-percent from the field and continued to build their lead for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Miles Gilletteled the Seahawks with a team-high 18 points on the afternoon.Grantfollowed with 14 points, whileJustin Milsteadknocked down 12, respectively. On the boards,MilsteadandAlbert Scottcollected a team-best five rebounds each.Gillettealso made contributions on the defensive end with a team-high four steals and one block.
- As a team, the Seahawks hustled for 11 steals and scored 19 points off of UMBC turnovers. In addition, the Seahawks shot just under 50-percent from the field.
- Brandon Horvathled the Retrievers with a double-double, recording 21 points and 15 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 15 vs. Catholic | 6:00 PM | at Hood College | Battle of D.C. & Maryland
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks