ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball (0-4) fell this evening (Nov. 23) to N.C. Wesleyan (3-1) in the first game of the Jean Edge Classic. The Jean Edge Classic is being hosted by N.C. Wesleyan in Rocky Mount, North Carolina.
St. Mary’s College – 60, N.C. Wesleyan – 96
How it Happened
- Gina Seifertand Kyaria Priest started the game strong by recording early points for the Seahawks. St. Mary’s College held a three-point lead over North Carolina Wesleyan until there were three minutes and 15 seconds left in the first quarter.Priestmade some crucial jump shots and free throws to keep the score close with the first quarter ending.
- Priestmade the first two points of the second quarter for the Seahawks, bringing the score to 17-26. Next, N.C. Wesleyan went on a ten-point scoring run in the last minute and 32 seconds of the second quarter, making the score 29-55 entering the third quarter.
- The first points of the third quarter were scored byPriestfor the Seahawks. With eight minutes and 53 seconds left in the third quarter, the Seahawks collected a team defensive rebound which then lead toSeifertmaking a jump shot from an assist byPriest. N.C. Wesleyan went on a five-point scoring run untilChyna Landonmade a jump shot, bringing the score to 42-71.
- Entering the fourth quarter the score was 47-73 with N.C. Wesleyan leading. The Battling Bishops went on an eight-point scoring run untilMaysmade a jump shot, bringing the Battling Bishops lead to 30 points. Holding a large lead, the Battling Bishops dwindled the remaining time for the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Priest leads the team in assists this evening with five and steals with two. Stephanie Howell tallied seven rebounds against the Battling Bishops and tied Seifert with one block apiece. Seifert and Jenkins tied this evening with 12 points each.
- The Seahawks had a higher three-point field-goal percentage than the Battling Bishops with 38.1% compared to their 34.6%. Jenkins maintains the team’s top spot for field-goal percentage with 51.6%.
- Jenkins also holds the team season-high for points per game at 13.0. With 2.5 steals per game, Priest now holds the team’s season-high.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 24 vs. Averett | 2:00 P.M. | Everett Gymnasium | Jean Edge Classic
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks