RALEIGH, N.C. – Junior forward Miles Gillette recorded the first double-double of the season for the Seahawks to lift St. Mary’s College (2-3) to a 89-78 victory over the William Peace Pacers (0-5) on Saturday (Nov. 23) afternoon.
St. Mary’s College – 89, William Peace – 78
How It Happened
- The Seahawks grabbed an early 5-2 lead to start the game, but the Pacers eventually took the lead and held on to the advantage for the remaining 15 minutes of the half. Although the Seahawks trailed for most of the first half, St. Mary’s College managed to keep pace with William Peace and kept the Pacers largest lead to just seven with 1:47 remaining. The Pacers used the three-ball to take control in the first half, knocking down 13.
- The final half of action was dominated by the Seahawks as St. Mary’s College outscored William Peace 46-26. The Seahawks shot 53.8% from the field and 57.1% from three-point range to take control in the second half. Additionally, St. Mary’s College tallied 22 points from their bench and scored 12 points off of turnovers. The Seahawks captured their largest lead of the afternoon at the 2:51 mark when they extended their advantage to 16 points, thanks to an 11-point run.Gary Grant,Gillette, andJustin Milsteadrecorded scores during the run. With their 16 point lead with just over two minutes remaining, the Seahawks cruised to their second victory of the season.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned,Gilletteled the Seahawks with a double-double, collecting 17 points and a season-best 11 rebounds.Milsteadtallied 14 points, whileJack FoleyandGrantrecorded 13 each, respectively.MilsteadandFoleyalso contributed on the defensive end asMilsteadled the squad with four steals.Foleyled the Seahawks with three blocks.
- Camden Fergusonled the Pacers with 18 points, whileJohn Burwellbrought down a team-best 11 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Nov. 26 at Marymount | 8:00 p.m.
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks