ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball (0-5) team fell this evening (Nov. 24) to Averett University (4-2) in their second game of the Jean Edge Classic. The Seahawks were edged 77-63.
St. Mary’s College – 63, Averett – 77
How it Happened
- The Seahawks were the first to get points on the board withKyaira Priestsinking a three-pointer off an assist fromKelli Jenkins. With 4:37 remaining in the first quarter, the Cougars and Seahawks were tied at 14-14. For two minutes and 28 seconds, the score remained at 18-16 with Averett in the lead.Caitlin Maystied up the game for the Seahawks off an assist fromKyaira Priest. Soon after, Averett committed a foul that created an opportunity forMaysto make a free-throw and for the Seahawks to take a one-point lead. Averett drained a late jump-shot making the score 20-19 entering the second quarter.
- The Cougars started the second quarter strong with a ten-point scoring run.Gina Seifertput an end to their run by making a jump-shot to bring the Seahawks within nine. Next, Averett went on another ten-point scoring run thatSeiferteventually ended with a layup. For the last 56 seconds of the quarter, both teams held each other defensively, keeping the score at 47-27 entering the third quarter.
- Averett scored the first points of the third quarter, but the Seahawks quickly answered back with a three-point shot scored byStephanie Howell. With 2:02 remaining,Seifertdrained both free throws making the score 57-38. Late in the quarter, the Seahawks tallied four more points taking the score to 61-44 entering the final quarter.
- For two minutes and 37 seconds in the fourth quarter, both teams remained scoreless.Howelldrained a jumper that broke the scoreless streak and made the score 68-46.Ana Tinglermade a defensive rebound which quickly transitioned toChyna Landonwho assistedMays.Tinglermade the last basket of the evening, but the Cougar lead was too much for the Seahawks to overcome.
Inside the Box Score
- Maysled the team today in scoring, recording 12 points.Priestcollected one steal this evening which was good for the team-high, andHowellhad the team-high for blocks with one.PriestandMaysboth had two assists this evening which was good for the team’s best mark.
- Jenkinsnow holds the season-high three-point percentage at 47.1%.JenkinsandSeifertare tied for points per game with 12 each, respectively.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 1 at Goucher College | 6:00 P.M. | Decker Sports & Recreation Center Arena
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks