TOWSON, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (0-6) fell this evening (Dec. 1) to Goucher College (4-2) 64-52 while on the road.
St. Mary’s College – 52, Goucher – 64
How it Happened
- Kelli Jenkins was the first to score this evening by draining a three-point shot. Goucher soon after went on an eight-point scoring run, which was halted by Stephanie Howell off an assist from Jenkins. Howell and Gina Seifert had a combined total of three defensive rebounds in the final minutes of the first quarter. The Gophers went into the second quarter with a nine-point lead.
- A defensive foul lead to Goucher getting the first points of the second quarter. However, Howell quickly answered back with a layup off an assist from Jenkins. The Gophers went on a seven-point run bringing the score to 25-11. The Seahawks then had a string of fantastic defensive plays, which allowed them to bring the score to 25-20, still in Goucher’s favor.
- Early in the third quarter, Goucher went on a nine-point scoring run. In the minutes following, Caitlin Mays, Kyaira Priest, and Seifert tallied crucial points to decrease the point deficit. Cameron Mangold had a steal which led to Priest making a layup, bringing the Seahawks into the fourth quarter with a 12-point deficit.
- The Seahawks had an impressive offensive run in the fourth quarter with an eight-point scoring run. A few late fouls gave Goucher free-throw opportunities that took their lead into the final minutes of the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert led the Seahawks with 13 points on the evening. Jenkins followed with 12 and Priest recorded 10, respectively. Mangold reached a season-high for herself and a team-high this evening with shooting percentage, which was 50%. Seifert led this evening in rebounds with 11 and tied with Mangold in steals with three apiece. Howell, Jenkins, and Priest all had two assists each this evening which was good for the team’s best today. Additionally, Seifert and Mangold led the team with three steals each.
- Jenkins led the team in three-point field-goals this evening with four total. Jenkins has the highest three-point field-goal percentage this season sitting at 46.5%.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 7 at Lehman College | 4:00 P.M. | The Apex
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks