ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (2-5) hosted the visiting Hampden-Sydney Tigers (2-5) on Wednesday (Dec. 4) night at the MPOBARC Arena. The Seahawks were edged by the Tigers, 72-68.
St. Mary’s College – 68, Hampden-Sydney – 72
How It Happened
- The Seahawks jumped on the Tigers early, pulling ahead 6-0 with a three-ball fromJalen Hayesand a fastbreak layup fromGary Grant.Grantdrew a foul during his attempt and drained the ensuing free throw. The remainder of the first half was back-and-forth with seven lead changes and four instances where the score was knotted up. Trailing by three, the Tigers put together an 11-3 run to capture a 35-30 advantage over the Seahawks. Hampden-Sydney increased their lead for the remainder of the half and the Seahawks headed into the locker rooms trailing 44-37.
- St. Mary’s College entered the second half of play with a new strategy by applying a full-court press on Hampden-Sydney. The strategy helped the Seahawks outscore the Tigers 31-28, but St. Mary’s College still couldn’t overcome their first half deficit. Both squads struggled to create scoring runs as the Seahawks’ best run was four, while the Tigers could only manage a three-point run. Hampden-Sydney held the lead for the entire second half. Late in the second half,Justin MilsteadandGranttallied scores to bring the Seahawks within three. However, a made layup and free throws from the Tigers sealed their victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Grantled the Seahawks on the offensive with 15 points.Miles Gillettefollowed with 12 whileHayestallied 11, respectively. In addition,Grantled St. Mary’s College on the boards with a team-best seven rebounds. On the defensive end,Justin Milsteadhustled for a team-high three steals.
- As a team, the Seahawks recorded 12 points each from second chance opportunities and fast breaks.
- Jack Wyattled the Tigers with 26 points andKevin Quinntallied 21.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 14 vs. Randolph | 4:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_mbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_MBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks