BRONX, N.Y. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (1-6) are coming home from the Bronx with their first win of the season. The Seahawks were found victorious against Lehman College (0-8) with a final score fo 58-40.
St. Mary’s College – 58, Lehman College – 40
How it Happened
- The Seahawks presented a nice lead by the end of the first quarter by going on a ten-point scoring run. Kelli Jenkins drained two three-point shots during the run, while Cameron Mangold and Kyaira Priest both had two points to add.
- Priest was the first to get points on the board in the second quarter taking the Seahawks’ lead to 12 points. The Lightning Bugs were able to find success offensively with a jump shot, which was quickly answered back by a three-pointer from Priest. Gina Seifert and Stephanie Howell had crucial defensive rebounds that allowed the Seahawks to capitalize off of Lehman’s missed shots.
- The two teams entered the third quarter with the score at 29-17 in St. Mary’s College’s favor. Howell set the pace of the third quarter with the first points scored off a jump shot. Jenkins was two for two on three-point shots which aided the Seahawks in keeping a lead and increasing that lead to a 22-point lead at the conclusion of the quarter.
- Lehman entered the final quarter with tenacity as they went on a six-point scoring run in the hopes of decreasing the Seahawk’s lead. Their run was ended by Howell who scored a layup from inside the paint. Jenkins and Holly Anderson were able to capitalize off of free-throw opportunities and help secure the Seahawks win.
Inside the Box Score
- Jenkins led the team in points this evening with 16 total; she holds the top spot for the season thus far as well with 12.6 average points per game. Priest tallied four steals this evening along with seven assists.
- Seifert has totaled an average of 6.3 rebounds per game, giving her the top spot for this season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 11 vs. Welsey | 6:00 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletics-Recreation Center Arena
Facebook: StMarysAthletics | Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks