BRONX, N.Y. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (1-6) are coming home from the Bronx with their first win of the season. The Seahawks were found victorious against Lehman College (0-8) with a final score fo 58-40.
St. Mary’s College – 58, Lehman College – 40
How it Happened
- The Seahawks presented a nice lead by the end of the first quarter by going on a ten-point scoring run.Kelli Jenkinsdrained two three-point shots during the run, whileCameron MangoldandKyaira Priestboth had two points to add.
- Priestwas the first to get points on the board in the second quarter taking the Seahawks’ lead to 12 points. The Lightning Bugs were able to find success offensively with a jump shot, which was quickly answered back by a three-pointer fromPriest.Gina SeifertandStephanie Howellhad crucial defensive rebounds that allowed the Seahawks to capitalize off of Lehman’s missed shots.
- The two teams entered the third quarter with the score at 29-17 in St. Mary’s College’s favor.Howellset the pace of the third quarter with the first points scored off a jump shot.Jenkinswas two for two on three-point shots which aided the Seahawks in keeping a lead and increasing that lead to a 22-point lead at the conclusion of the quarter.
- Lehman entered the final quarter with tenacity as they went on a six-point scoring run in the hopes of decreasing the Seahawk’s lead. Their run was ended byHowellwho scored a layup from inside the paint.JenkinsandHolly Andersonwere able to capitalize off of free-throw opportunities and help secure the Seahawks win.
Inside the Box Score
- Jenkinsled the team in points this evening with 16 total; she holds the top spot for the season thus far as well with 12.6 average points per game.Priesttallied four steals this evening along with seven assists.
- Seiferthas totaled an average of 6.3 rebounds per game, giving her the top spot for this season.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Dec. 11 vs. Welsey | 6:00 P.M. | Michael P. O’Brien Athletics-Recreation Center Arena
Facebook:StMarysAthletics|Instagram: @smcseahawks, @smcm_wbb
Twitter: @smcseahawks, @SMCM_WBB | Hashtags: #SweepTheSheds, #GoHawks