Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (5-11, 0-1 CAC) opened up Capital Athletic Conference play on the road with a 57-87 loss against the Eagles of Mary Washington (11-5, 1-0 CAC) on Saturday (Jan. 11) afternoon.
St. Mary’s College – 57, Mary Washington – 87
How It Happened
- The Eagles jumped out to a quick 11-4 lead and continued that pace until the Seahawks found themselves trailing 16-10 with a little over nine minutes left in the first half. Mary Washington’s Greg Rowson extended the Eagles lead to 19-10 off of a deep three-pointer and Drew Johnson followed that with a three of his own to go to up 22-10.
- With five minutes left in the first half, the Seahawks trailed Mary Washington 30-15 with Gary Grant leading the way with eight points and two rebounds. With just under two minutes remaining in the first half that lead turned into a 38-21 Eagles lead and extended to a 43-23 halftime lead.
- Jack Foley scored on an inside layup to begin the Seahawks second half and Miles Gillette scored his eighth point on the following possession. However, the Seahawks still found themselves trailing the Eagles 64-34 12 minutes left to go in the game.
- With three minutes to go in the game, the Eagles held a comfortable 30 point lead as they led 83-53 and they went on to defeat the Seahawks with a final score of 87-57.
Inside the Box Score
- Grant led the Seahawks on the offensive end with 18 points and he also added three rebounds. Gillette followed with 14 points and collected two rebounds of his own. Foley and Tryllian Young Led the Seahawks on the glass with both players collecting six rebounds. Defensively, Young and Seth Jones led the Seahawks with one steal apiece.
- As a team, the Seahawks scored 13 points off of turnovers, had 15 points off the bench, 15-second chance points, and had nine assists as a team.
- Trey Barber led the Eagles with 22 points on the day.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 15 vs York College of Pennsylvania | 7:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena | Capital Athletic Conference game