FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (5-11, 0-1 CAC) opened up Capital Athletic Conference play on the road with a 57-87 loss against the Eagles of Mary Washington (11-5, 1-0 CAC) on Saturday (Jan. 11) afternoon.
St. Mary’s College – 57, Mary Washington – 87
How It Happened
- The Eagles jumped out to a quick 11-4 lead and continued that pace until the Seahawks found themselves trailing 16-10 with a little over nine minutes left in the first half. Mary Washington’sGreg Rowsonextended the Eagles lead to 19-10 off of a deep three-pointer andDrew Johnsonfollowed that with a three of his own to go to up 22-10.
- With five minutes left in the first half, the Seahawks trailed Mary Washington 30-15 withGary Grantleading the way with eight points and two rebounds. With just under two minutes remaining in the first half that lead turned into a 38-21 Eagles lead and extended to a 43-23 halftime lead.
- Jack Foleyscored on an inside layup to begin the Seahawks second half andMiles Gillettescored his eighth point on the following possession. However, the Seahawks still found themselves trailing the Eagles 64-34 12 minutes left to go in the game.
- With three minutes to go in the game, the Eagles held a comfortable 30 point lead as they led 83-53 and they went on to defeat the Seahawks with a final score of 87-57.
Inside the Box Score
- Grantled the Seahawks on the offensive end with 18 points and he also added three rebounds.Gillettefollowed with 14 points and collected two rebounds of his own.Foley andTryllian YoungLed the Seahawks on the glass with both players collecting six rebounds. Defensively,YoungandSeth Jonesled the Seahawks with one steal apiece.
- As a team, the Seahawks scored 13 points off of turnovers, had 15 points off the bench, 15-second chance points, and had nine assists as a team.
- Trey Barber led the Eagles with 22 points on the day.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 15 vs York College of Pennsylvania | 7:00 p.m. | MPOBARC Arena | Capital Athletic Conference game