ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (5-12, 0-2 CAC) hosted the York College of Pennsylvania Spartans (11-5, 1-1 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference on Wednesday (Jan. 15) night in the MPOBARC Arena. The Seahawks were downed by the Spartans in the final seconds of regulation by a final score of 77-74.
St. Mary’s College – 74, York – 77
How It Happened
- The Spartans captured the lead in the early portion of the contest and used a seven-point run to grab a seven-point lead at the 17:51 mark. Minutes later, York notched a nine-point lead with 16:18 remaining in the first half for their largest advantage of the contest. St. Mary’s College responded when they captured the lead when Miles Gillette converted on a layup with under 10 minutes remaining.
- Next, the Seahawks strung together their largest run of the game by knocking down nine unanswered points for a 10 point lead with 7:03 remaining in the half. Dee Barnes made an impact in his first game in a Seahawk uniform by draining back-to-back three’s during the run. Gillette capped off the run with a three-pointer as well. The Seahawks held their lead and headed into halftime with a 45-39 advantage.
- St. Mary’s College kept their momentum from the first half and pulled out to a 13 point advantage with 12:39 remaining. The lead was the Seahawk’s largest of the contest. St. Mary’s College captured their largest lead of the night off of a seven-point run. Gillette recorded five of the seven points and Gary Grant tallied two during the run.
- The Spartans began to slowly chip into the Seahawk lead and used a seven-point run of their own to even the game at 70-70 with 2:14 remaining in regulation. With the time approaching a minute left to play, Grant made a tough layup, drew a foul, and drained the ensuing free throw to give the Seahawks a three-point lead. However, the Spartans stormed down the court and drained a three-pointer to even the game once again. Next, the Seahawks committed a critical error and turned over the ball on their next possession and the Spartans took advantage to sink a jumper. Trailing by two, the Seahawks were sent to the line where they made one of two free throws.
Inside the Box Score
- Gillette led the Seahawks on the offensive end with a season-best 32 points. Grant followed with 20 points and newcomer Barnes finished in double-digits with 16 points. Barnes also made an impact on the defensive end, collecting a team-best three steals. Jack Foley led St. Mary’s College on the glass with seven rebounds and collected one block.
- David Giuliani led the Spartans with 20 points and eight rebounds on the evening.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Jan. 18 at Salisbury | 4:00 p.m. | Maggs Physical Activities Center | Capital Athletic Conference game