Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (7-16, 2-6 CAC) hosted the University of Mary Washington Eagles (14-9, 4-4 CAC) on Saturday (Feb. 8) afternoon for Senior Day. The Seahawks were edged by the Eagles by a final score of 72-62.
St. Mary’s College – 62, Mary Washington – 72
How It Happened
- The Eagles grabbed the lead to begin the game, but the Seahawks battled back to grab a 6-5 lead at the 16:18 mark for their only lead of the game. The Seahawks used a six-point scoring run for the early advantage, thanks to three-pointers from Jack Foley and Justin Milstead.
- At the 11:30 mark of the first half, Mary Washington strung together a 13-point run to take a 12-point lead over St. Mary’s College. The Eagles stretched their lead to 14 with 7:43 remaining for their largest advantage of the game. Trailing 34-24, the Seahawks finished the half strongly by tallying the final four points with scores from Reggie Rouse and Dee Barnes.
- In the second half, the Eagles held a 12-point lead with 12:29 remaining. Next, the Seahawks recorded nine-straight points to cut the Eagle lead to three with 8:10 remaining. Miles Gillette highlighted the run with a layup and a made three-ball.
- Mary Washington was able to hold their lead and used a six-point scoring run with 1:26 remaining to seal the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Gillette led the Seahawks with a double-double, notching a team-high 15 points and 12 rebounds. Grant followed with 14 points while Barnes finished the game with 13, respectively. Barnes and Rouse hustled for a team-high two steals, while Rouse also led the team by dishing out two assists.
- Greg Rowson led the Eagles with a double-double, tallying 23 points and 10 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 15 at Southern Virginia | 3:00 p.m. | Knight Arena