St. Mary’s College of Maryland
BUENA VISTA, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (8-16, 3-6 CAC) traveled to Southern Virginia University to take on the Knights (1-23, 0-9 CAC) in Capital Athletic Conference action on Saturday (Feb. 15) afternoon. Gary Grant dropped 35 points to lead the Seahawks past the Knights by a 76-70 final score.
St. Mary’s College – 76, Southern Virginia – 70
How It Happened
- The first 10 minutes of action in the opening half was highly competitive and witnessed the Seahawks and Knights play to a 20-20 tie with 8:08 remaining. Next, the Seahawks took command of the half by outscoring the Knights 11-2 to capture a 31-22 advantage. Miles Gillette, Grant, Dee Barnes, and Jack Foley recorded scores during the run.
- The Knights trimmed the St. Mary’s College lead to five with 3:21 remaining in the half, but a six-point run from the Seahawks brought the St. Mary’s College lead back to 11. Grant tallied four of the six points in the run and Miles Gillette brought energy to the team with a dunk. The Seahawks brought a 41-31 advantage into halftime.
- Phil Newsome netted the opening bucket of the second half to stretch the Seahawk lead to 12, their largest of the afternoon. However, the Knights continued to play tough and narrowed the Seahawks lead to four with just over 10 minutes remaining. Minutes later, Southern Virginia nailed a three-pointer and trimmed the Seahawk lead to one at the 7:12 mark of play.
- Tied 62-62, St. Mary’s College strung together a five-point run with scores from Grant and Gillette. Southern Virginia once again cut the lead to one, but a jumper from Gillette and driving layups from Grant held off the Knights.
Inside the Box Score
- As mentioned, Grant had an excellent night on the offensive end with a team-best 35 points. The total was the best mark of the season for Grant. Gillette also made significant contributions on the offensive end with 23 points. Additionally, Gillette recorded a team-high six rebounds. Justin Milstead hustled for a team-best four steals and Foley notched a team-high two blocks.
- Sam Armstrong led the Knights with 17 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 19 at York | 7:00 p.m. | Grumbacher Center