News Release, CAC Athletic Communications Intern, Jeremy Mattanah
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland baseball team (0-1) opened up their 2020 season on Tuesday (Feb. 18) afternoon by hosting the visiting Catholic University Cardinals (1-0). The Seahawks fell to the Cardinals by a final score of 6-0 to start the year.
St. Mary’s College – 0, Catholic – 6
How It Happened
- Catholic came out firing and managed to push three runs across the plate on an error and a bomb of a hit to left field for a double. Next, the Cardinals scored one run in the next inning as well to take a 4-0 lead.
- Both teams were held scoreless for the rest of the game except in the ninth inning Catholic managed to secure two more runs on a couple of base hits and wild pitches. St. Mary’s College was never able to get on the board despite the fact that they were able to load the bases in the seventh inning.
Inside the Box Score
- Derek Taitanoled the Seahawks from the plate with two hits in three at bats. In addition,Jake Wood,Joey Bryner, andDillon Watersrecorded hits. On the base paths,Woodstole one base.
- The Seahawks rotated their pitching every inning, however,Mark Smithstarted the game and gave up three hits. He had no earned runs. The pitching staff managed three strikeouts.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 20 vs. McDaniel | 12:00 p.m. (DH) | Hawk’s Nest