News Release, Captial Athletic Conference
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-21, 0-10 CAC) fell this evening (Feb. 19) to Capital Athletic Conference competitor York College (15-10, 6-4 CAC). This was their second matchup of the season and the game concluded with a score of 103-67.
St. Mary’s College – 67, York College – 103
How it Happened
- The Seahawks started the game strong with a three-point lead over the Spartans at the conclusion of the first quarter with a score of 20-17. Gina Seifert led the team in points with eight total. Kyaira Priest contributed offensively with four points and three assists. Kelli Jenkins and Stephanie Howell recorded three points each alongside Ashleigh Bonanno who drained two points.
- York was able to find their stride in the second quarter, tallying 34 points compared to St. Mary’s College’s 15. Seifert continued her offensive streak with leading the team in points with seven total and contributing one assist. The Seahawks were able to capitalize on turnovers and fast breaks, scoring four points off of each. Howell drained four points alongside Priest and Bonanno who tallied two points apiece. Unfortunately, the Seahawks’ defense was unable to stop the Spartans from going on a 12-point scoring run and take a 16-point lead.
- St. Mary’s College was able to score 16 total points in the third quarter, with Seifert contributing 12 of those points. Caitlin Mays contributed two assists while Howell added three points and Priest added one. Again, the Seahawks were able to capitalize off of turnovers, scoring five points off York’s mistakes.
- Mays turned on her offensive game leading the team with five points with Seifert and Jenkins adding four, while Howell recorded three. The Seahawks were 100% on their free-throw percentage in the fourth quarter and eight points were scored inside the paint. Unfortunately, York’s offense did not falter and they returned to Pennsylvania victorious.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert recorded a season-best for herself with 31 total points. Seifert also recorded the most assists and rebounds this evening with four assists and eight rebounds. Howell tied her second-best mark for points in a game with 13 total.
- For the Spartans, Kayla Ferris recorded a double-double with 22 points and 13 rebounds.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 22 at York College | 1:00 PM | CAC Tournament Quarterfinals | Charles Wolf Gymnasium