News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletics
YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-22, 0-11) fell this evening to York College in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament. The Spartans took the win with a final score of 79-58.
St. Mary’s College – 58, York College – 79
How it Happened
- The Seahawks had a strong first quarter, outscoring the Spartans 18-14. Kelli Jenkins led the team in points with seven alongside Gina Seifert who tallied six. Kyaira Priest put up three points and Ashleigh Bonanno added two. Seifert and Stephanie Howell led the team in rebounds with three apiece.
- St. Mary’s College hit a snag offensively during the second quarter only scoring nine points. Seifert was responsible for eight of those nine, while Priest added one. Jenkins led the team in assists with one and Seifert led the team in rebounds with three. The Seahawks were able to score four points from inside the paint.
- Entering the second half of the game, the Spartans led 40-27. In the third quarter, Seifert recorded nine points while Jenkins recorded three and Bonanno tallied two. The Seahawks were able to score four points off of turnovers and eight from inside the paint.
- With one quarter left to play, the Spartans started with a 23 point lead over the Seahawks. Seifert led the team in points once again with 11 total. Priest was able to put up six points as well. Howell snagged three rebounds which led the team. Again, the Seahawks found success off of turnovers and from inside the paint with nine and eight points respectively. Unfortunately, the Seahawks defense was unable to slow the Spartans’ offensive roll and they walked away with a win.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifert set a new record for herself in points per game with 34 total this evening. Along with 11 rebounds, she snagged another double-double on the season. Both Jenkins and Priest tallied ten points this evening.
- For the Spartans, Molly Day recorded 23 points and eight rebounds.