News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletics
YORK, Pa. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s basketball team (3-22, 0-11) fell this evening to York College in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament. The Spartans took the win with a final score of 79-58.
St. Mary’s College – 58, York College – 79
How it Happened
- The Seahawks had a strong first quarter, outscoring the Spartans 18-14.Kelli Jenkinsled the team in points with seven alongsideGina Seifertwho tallied six.Kyaira Priestput up three points andAshleigh Bonannoadded two.SeifertandStephanie Howellled the team in rebounds with three apiece.
- St. Mary’s College hit a snag offensively during the second quarter only scoring nine points.Seifertwas responsible for eight of those nine, whilePriestadded one.Jenkinsled the team in assists with one andSeifertled the team in rebounds with three. The Seahawks were able to score four points from inside the paint.
- Entering the second half of the game, the Spartans led 40-27. In the third quarter,Seifertrecorded nine points whileJenkinsrecorded three andBonannotallied two. The Seahawks were able to score four points off of turnovers and eight from inside the paint.
- With one quarter left to play, the Spartans started with a 23 point lead over the Seahawks.Seifertled the team in points once again with 11 total.Priestwas able to put up six points as well.Howellsnagged three rebounds which led the team. Again, the Seahawks found success off of turnovers and from inside the paint with nine and eight points respectively. Unfortunately, the Seahawks defense was unable to slow the Spartans’ offensive roll and they walked away with a win.
Inside the Box Score
- Seifertset a new record for herself in points per game with 34 total this evening. Along with 11 rebounds, she snagged another double-double on the season. BothJenkinsandPriesttallied ten points this evening.
- For the Spartans,Molly Dayrecorded 23 points and eight rebounds.