News Release, St. Mary’s College of Maryland Athletics
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland men’s basketball team (9-18, 3-7 CAC) traveled to Christopher Newport University to take on the Captains (21-5) in the Capital Athletic Conference Tournament Semifinal on Wednesday (Feb. 26) night. The Seahawks fell to the Captains by a final score of 100-63 to conclude their 2019-20 season.
St. Mary’s College – 63, Christopher Newport – 100
How It Happened
- The Captains controlled the entire game and were first to score to begin the contest. Trailing 5-0,Gary Grantdrew a shooting foul and knocked down both of his free throws to cut the Captain lead to three. After three more points from CNU, Grant continued his hot start when he drained a three-pointer to once again cut the Captain lead to three. This was the closest the Seahawks would get to take the lead as CNU took over the game, eventually stretching their lead to 35 points with 1:32 remaining in the half. Next,Miles Gilletteconverted on a jumper and the Seahawks headed into halftime trailing CNU 55-23.
- CNU continued their dominance in the second half as they eventually extended their lead to 55 points at the 11:42 mark. With the game well in hand, the Seahawks finished strong and fell 100-63.
Inside the Box Score
- Gillettefinished the night with his eighth double-double of the season, leading the team in points with 16 and rebounds with 10.Seth Jonesfollowed with a season-high 15 points.Grantalso reached double figures in scoring with 12.
- Justin Milsteadhustled for a team-best four steals andGilletterecorded the lone block of the game for the Seahawks.
- Jason Aignerled the Captains with 26 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- This concludes the 2019-20 season for the Seahawk men’s basketball team.