Support Local Journalism
Thank you for all of your comments, ideas, photos and support!
ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland sailing team hosted the St. Mary’s Team Race Regatta and sent sailors to the United States Naval Academy to compete this weekend (March 7-8). The Seahawks placed sixth at home and placed tenth at the Navy Spring Women’s Regatta.
How it Happened
- The St. Mary’s River was busy this weekend with ten teams competing in the St. Mary’s Team Race on Saturday and Sunday. Leo Boucher, Josh Paper, Oscar MacGillivary were skippers for the Seahawks, alongside Sophia Taczak, Ashley Wagner, Lucas Masiello, Sam Muir, and Thomas Walker as the crew. St. Mary’s College placed sixth with a 4/10 record.
- A handful of female sailors traveled to Annapolis this weekend to compete in the Navy Spring Women’s Regatta. Jessica Bennett and Genna Viggiano sailed in Division A and tallied 123 points. Bennett and Viggiano came to a head-to-head tiebreaker with the University of Miami and placed 12th overall in the Division.
- Katherine Bennett sailed alongside Julia Faranetta for the first ten races and Allison Gingerich for the final four races in Division B. The Seahawks came to another head-to-head tiebreaker with Cornell University and ended up taking tenth place. With both Divisions combined, St. Mary’s College took tenth place overall with a total of 235 points.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- March 14-15 | Graham Hall Race | United States Naval Academy
- March 14-15 | St. Mary’s College Women’s Interconference | St. Mary’s College of Maryland