Landfill and Piney Church Mulching Facility hours to be reduced
News Release, Charles County Public Information Office
The Charles County Landfill and Recycling Centers are working to protect staff and the public by reducing their operating hours during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Charles County Landfill and the Piney Church Mulching Facility operating hours will be 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. starting Saturday, March 21. Trucks weighing over 10,000 pounds will not be allowed to enter the landfill after 3 p.m. The Recycling Center hours will remain unchanged.
The Environmental Resources Division will continue to monitor the situation and modify the hours as needed.
Waste disposal is a critical public health essential service and the Environmental Resources Division is asking patrons to help reduce the COVID-19 pandemic impact to trash haulers, employees, and citizens. The following precautions are encouraged to help reduce transmission and exposure to employees and the public:
- Delay spring cleaning: Please reduce the number of visits and when possible limit trips to drop-ff spoilable or household waste only.
- Self Service: All landfill and recycling center employees will be practicing social distancing to protect themselves and residents. Please be prepared to self-unload your vehicle, bring assistance if needed.
- Bag Waste: When self-hauling household and spoilable waste, please make sure items are bagged. This will reduce the exposure of waste to employees and help prevent cross-contamination to other patrons.
- Hire a Hauler: When possible, residents are encouraged to hold bulk items or utilize a curbside collection service.
- Skip Saturday afternoon: Visit outside of peak hours. The landfill is no longer able to provide an express lane on Saturdays.
- Limit your transaction: Bring your own pen, pay with exact change, or write a check.
- Prewrite your check: Checks must include the driver’s license number, date of birth, expiration date, and valid phone number.
These recommendations are made to help minimize potential exposure to employees and residents. Your cooperation and concern for fellow residents and the employees of Charles County is appreciated during this time.
For more information on the Charles County Landfill, visit www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/Landfill or call the landfill and the recycling information line is 301-932-5656. Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.