SALISBURY, Md. – The St. Mary’s College of Maryland women’s swim team captured 10 of 14 events Saturday afternoon in a non-conference dual meet with the host Salisbury University Sea Gulls. However, Salisbury’s depth was key in the Sea Gulls (4-1) holding on for the narrow 134-125 victory over St. Mary’s College (8-4) in the short course meters meet.
Sophomore Anna Kidd (Arbutus, Md./Mount de Sales) paced the Seahawks with three individual wins while senior captains Rileigh Krell (Baltimore, Md./Sparrows Point) and Bailey Edgren (Canton, Conn./Canton) each picked up a pair of wins.
How It Happened
- Kidd’s three victories came in the 200 freestyle (2:16.21), the 100 freestyle (1:02.13), and the 200 individual medley (2:34.32) before anchoring the winning 200 freestyle relay (1:57.68). Senior Leila McCloskey (Leonardtown, Md./Leonardtown), junior Christina Trnkus (Chevy Chase, Md./Bethesda-Chevy Chase), and senior Christina Bonass (Chestertown, Md./Kent County) joined Kidd on the relay.
- Krell started the meet by leading off the winning 200 medley relay (2:11.34) as Edgren, Trnkus, and McCloskey joined her on the relay. She then claimed first-place finishes in the 100 backstroke in 1:12.12 and the 200 backstroke in 2:37.24.
- Edgren notched her two individual wins in the 100 breaststroke (1:21.77) and the 200 breaststroke (2:56.35). She was also fourth in the 200 individual medley (2:41.82).
- McCloskey collected a first-place finish in the 50 freestyle (29.38) as well as a second-place finish in the 100 backstroke (1:12.45).
- Trnkus came through with a silver in the 200 butterfly (2:50.89) and a bronze in the 100 butterfly (1:16.02).
- Bonass posted a pair of third-place finishes in the 100 breaststroke (1:26.47) and the 200 breaststroke (3:09.59) while adding a sixth-place finish in the 100 freestyle (1:11.41).
- Sophomore Julia Milner (Middletown, Md./Middletown) led the Seahawks in the 400 freestyle with a fourth-place finish (5:36.95) and tallied a fourth-place finish as well in the 100 breaststroke (1:30.07).
- Junior Jazlyn Benitez (Silver Spring, Md./Blake) contributed to the team scoring with a fourth-place finish in the 800 freestyle (11:37.04) and a pair of fifth-place finishes in the 200 backstroke (2:50.91) and the 100 butterfly (1:21.03).
- Sophomore Lilianna Bowman (Westminster, Md./Winter Mills) tallied a fourth-place finish in the 200 freestyle (2:37.52) while sophomore Marissa Fields (Clements, Md./Chopticon) went fifth in the 50 freestyle in 32.26.
Up Next for the Seahawks
- Feb. 11-13 at Atlantic East Conference Championships – St. Mary’s City, Md.