On Tuesday, Jan. 25, Generations Properties, LLC and MCB Real Estate, LLC presented the Board of County Commissioners with a proposal for Fairway Village that included a grocer and possible retail space options. County Commissioners approved the proposed Docket 90 Grocer Acknowledgement and Consent Agreement.
- Charles County Health Officer Dr. Dianna E. Abney and Department of Emergency Services Director Michelle Lilly provided an update on COVID-19 in Charles County.
- There are a variety of vaccination clinics in the community, which include mobile pop-up clinics, schools, congregate living facilities, churches, and vaccines for the homebound. Residents can make their own vaccination appointments and walk-ins are accepted. For a list of county vaccination clinics and testing sites, visit the Department of Health’s website.
- There is now a COVID-19 testing site at the Regency Furniture Stadium (11765 St. Linus Drive, Waldorf) daily from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. For a list of pharmacies and other vaccination clinics and testing sites available, visit the State of Maryland’s website.
- University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center Vice President of Ancillary Services Bill Grimes provided an update on crisis standard of care for the hospital, current COVID-19 hospitalizations and staff COVID-19 testing and vaccinations. Residents are reminded to only go to the hospital for emergencies and to visit their primary physician or urgent care facilities for minor illness, such as coughs, colds, and low-grade fevers.
- Charles County Public Schools Director of School Safety and Security Jason Stoddard provided an update on the schools’ COVID-19 contact tracing process, weekly screening program, and case statistics.
- Chief of Media Services Jennifer Harris provided an update on the county’s communications efforts, which includes continuing social media monitoring and response to media inquiries.
Associate County Attorney II Danielle Mitchell and Deputy County Administrator Deborah Hall provided an update on the 2022 Maryland General Assembly Session. GS Proctor and Associates, Inc. representative Joseph Green provided an update on legislation specific to Charles County, to include the status of legislative proposals requested by the Board of County Commissioners. County Commissioners approved a motion to send a letter of opposition for Senate Bill 35 Charles County Program Open Space, Senate Bill 136 Transition to Charles County Community College, and Senate 128 Charles County Program Open Space, Waldorf Core Zone. County Commissioners requested additional information on Senate Bill 76, Senate Bill 89, and Senate Bill 96. The update will continue next week due to time constraints.
After approval of a preliminary motion to extend the time to issue a written decision and order for a Zoning Map Amendment, County Commissioners adopted Resolution 2021-27 Zoning Map Amendment 20-03 Hungerford Property.
County Commissioners recognized the Department of Fiscal and Administrative Services for earning the Distinguished Budget Presentation Award and the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting from the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States and Canada. More information is available here.
Next Commissioners Session: Feb. 1 and 2, 2022